Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS)
Eliminating Wireless Dead Zones to keep customers connected in-doors
Telecom services around the globe are now considered to be a common utility, due to years of investment by Mobile Network Operators (MNOs), to ensure their customers are provided with robust cellular coverage. However, despite the large scale cellular roll-outs, coverage provision for buildings and various venues still proves to be a challenge, and the situation is getting worse as dependency on data services is forecasted to increase at an exponential rate.
Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS) has long been seen as an excellent solution to the problem, as DAS is a system that allows for the use of cellular phones and other wireless devices in surroundings that do not have a direct or have a weak access to a cell tower. Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS), is a system comprised of a series of antennas which are strategically placed around a targeted location where there is a need for additional cellular coverage. Each of the antennas within the DAS are then routed to a communications hub through a system of cables to allow the cell signal to be processed by a cellular base station.
Why is Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS) a must have solution-
As technology has evolved over time, our ways of communicating with one another has too. In the past cell phones were a means of communicating with each other on the move (outdoors), however now, over 80 percent of cell phone activity takes place indoors. Users now want to stay connected throughout the day and this is not limited to voice, but data usage as well; data usage is rising at an exponential rate and is being demanded and expected everywhere. With the changing trends in communication, DAS solutions are rapidly becoming a necessity for buildings with coverage challenges. Most buildings currently depend on outdoor macro cells for coverage, however as buildings have evolved in technology, macro cells are often found to have poor penetration into these buildings, resulting in low level performance. Therefore Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS) have emerged as a choice to meet the in-building wireless coverage demand and provide the expected quality of experience.
The DAS solutions- DAS solutions can be classified into three common categories; passive DAS, active DAS and hybrid DAS.
Active DAS – Active DAS solutions are designed using active equipment in large venues, complex buildings and VIP sites, to provide exceptional RF coverage for multi-frequency, multi-operator and multi-service networks.
Passive DAS- Passive DAS solutions are developed with a combination of passive components such as splitter, coupler, feeder etc. The passive solution is cost effective and widely used for covering small to medium sized buildings.
Hybrid DAS- A hybrid DAS solution is a network designed using a combination of both passive and active DAS solutions.
Benefits of installing DAS solutions- Any venue can benefit from installing a Distributed Antenna System, whether it is a passive DAS, an active or a hybrid DAS. All solutions are found to be equally beneficial. Some of the benefits of installing DAS include:
- Quality of signal strength will improve and users will experience better signal strength throughout the venue, meaning users will not have to worry about searching for windows to acquire a decent signal.
- Defined seamless coverage is experienced throughout the venue as there is less attenuation due to the signal being generated inside the building.
- A DAS solution will provide high level of service along with dedicated capacity in high traffic areas such as Airports, Stadiums, Shopping Malls and High rise buildings.
- Indoor radiation is reduced as DAS uses multiple low power antennas, resulting in cell phones and other devices also using a lower power level when transmitting signals. This also saves energy and improves battery life of the cell phone.
- Improved signal coverage inside the building will result in higher throughput for data services.
- A DAS solution can simultaneously support multiple-service, multi-operators, ensuring connectivity for a broader range of mobile devices
As wireless connectivity has become a critical part of our lives, DAS solutions will keep on playing their role in the effort to provide quality cellular coverage throughout venues, keeping people connected at all times.
i-flex is a leading brand of Interconnect Solutions, which provides the most advanced passive RF Distributed Antenna System (DAS) for in-building coverage. Our state of the art processes make it possible for us to develop passive products with low VSWR and lowest PIM ratings. Moreover, i-flex offers a comprehensive product portfolio that fits to all In-Building Solution (IBS) needs.